I’ve been gravitating towards cool graphic tees a lot more recently so I thought that I would try and make some for myself. I actually have a video on this tutorial that goes into more detail so be sure to check it out down below!
DIY VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWlRN6a2b0
Without further ado lets get into the tutorial!
DIY GREAT WAVE OFF KANAGAWA EMBROIDERED T-SHIRT:
- Plain T-shirt
- Embroidery Thread
- Embroidery Hoop
- Embroidery Needles
- First print out your image onto a piece of paper. It’s best to use tissue paper so that’s easy to remove but I only had regular printer paper at home which still worked fine.
- If your fabric is pretty thin cut out a piece of interfacing a little bit bigger than the size of the paper print out.
- Place the lower part of the embroidery ring inside the shirt with the interfacing on top of it and then place the paper print out on top of the whole shirt before attaching the upper part of the embroidery ring to the shirt.
- Make sure to pull the fabric taut from the sides of the hoop before tightening it.
- Now you can just start embroidering it! The straight lines were pretty easy to sew but then it gets a bit harder once you get to the more detailed parts.
- Just continue embroidering until all the lines are covered and then you can make the paper wet and slowly tear it off.
- Once the paper is off the last thing to do is just trim off any excess interfacing to remove the bulkiness.
DIY STRAWBERRY BASKET TEE:
- Plain T-shirt
- Green and Red Fabric Paint
- Foam Brushes
- Small Paintbrushes
- Foam Sheets
- First draw out the shape of your strawberries. I made three different shapes.
- Trace these drawings over to the foam sheets, cut them out, and attach them to a piece of cardboard to make your stamps.
- Draw out the shape of the basket you want and make that into a stamp too.
- Lay out your shirt and tape off where you want your design to start and stop.
- I also taped around where the box was so I wouldn’t stamp the strawberries outside of the sides of the box.
- Now just start stamping. I would recommend stamping it once to get the shape and then going over it with a small paintbrush/foam brush to get the opacity that you want.
- Once all the fruit part of the strawberries are done carefully outline the ends with the green paint and a small paintbrush.
- Add in the seeds by making small oval-y lines with a toothpick.
- Paint on the stems with the small paintbrush.
- Stamp on the box, and if it’s too light for you go over the area you stamped with the tape and a small paintbrush.
- Let this dry overnight and you are done!
And that’s it for these shirts! hopefully you guys like the ideas and be sure to watch my video if you want more clarification. And if you try anything out then feel free to send a picture of it to one of my social media links. (Instagram & Tumblr: @cupricks)
DIY VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ly7c94rC7w